Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hello Everyone!







I am a sophomore at HF-L high school and I am going abroad for my junior year. I am a very open-minded person who enjoys learning about and seeing other cultures and places in the world; I have had those interests ever since I went to my first museums and on my first vacations with my family. I like to learn new skills and challenge myself in school, as well as be a positive role model for younger kids through volunteering at the elementary and middle schools in my district. Exercising my creative abilities and playing sports for both school and clubs are other activities I spend my time doing. Finding a career that incorporates all of these aspects: an international, creative, active, intellectual and influential job is a major ambition of mine.



My interests and ambitions are what led me into applying to go abroad. I am anxious to learn Spanish fully, see life in a different light, extend my family and friends across borders, and gain more confidence in myself and my abilities. I will share what I have learned from life in Argentina with my friends, family, and community back home, and maybe in the whole process discover more in detail where I want to go and what I want to do with my life. However, I also hope to share my culture and country with my community in Argentina. I feel the responsibility to represent Americans in a positive and friendly light and leave Argentines with a good impression of their "northern neighbors". Sharing the different parts of my life in the United States,as well as learning from and taking in theirs is something I am looking forward to.



This great experience unfortunately cannot be free though. So any support would be vastly appreciated. In the end, the whole thing will cost around $11,000. My parents and I have agreed that what I will gain is completely worth it. I will save over the next few months, hopefully with the help of contributions from friends and family. I have also applied and received the Global Leaders Scholarship through AFS to help with the cost. If you care to donate it will help pay for things like a new school uniform I will need to wear at my Argentine school, and I would be very grateful.



Thank you for reading my blog and for your support, whether it be financial or your ongoing encouragement. I hope you check back sometime once I have left for my experience in July. ¡Adiós!


To sponsor my AFS program now, please click the ChipIn button.

2 comments:

turbo said...

Hey Maggie, the site is working!!!! Great!
So, are you getting excited about the trip?
We look forward to reading about your experiences.

adogslife said...

Hi Maggster,

We just signed up so we can follow you as you begin your new yearlong journey - this sounds so exciting.. we hope to see you in Minnesota next month!
J and B, Sam, Jack, Deaver and Teddy